Friday, January 21, 2011

Let me elucidate.

I have had the greatest roommates all my life. I remember reaching my college hostel with a huge baggage of growing apprehension of days to come. I climbed the 5 steep floors and as I stepped into my room, I almost missed my first ever roommate- Mahitha. She sat there at the end of the bed, so silent (!). I remember it as a dark room with this little girl and many menacing evening shadows of things unfamiliar. We exchanged awkward smiles, which didn't quite reach our eyes. I switched on the light. There, that moment marked the beginning of a friendship that I treasure close to my heart. To date I haven't found one thing to bitch about her ever. Ladies, you understand the gravity of the matter.

Later on when I changed hostel, I shared rooms first with Sethu(lekshmy), who also happened to be a distant relative (speak about the world being small) and a bunch of rats. She is simply a very very nice person and a pretty one too. 

In my final year, I moved in (!) with my best friend - Ambili. We studied in different colleges but had a common hostel. I knew everyone in her college starting from the office boy, lab assistants, teachers, her (college/class) mates to her seniors(one of them went on to become my current roomie - Vyas) . And they all knew me as well.

After completing my studies, I joined my first company at Hyderabad where I met Parna and Paramita. They were many years elder to me. From Calcutta and Assam. Somehow I lost touch with them. Sad. During this time, I was invited to a relative's marriage. As usual I was reluctant to go as I am not much of a social person especially when it comes to family dos. I couldn't make up my mind so I consulted my roomies. Paramita got up and said - just get ready, I'm coming with you. To my dismay, she was the centre of attention at the wedding. The entire clan was in awe to have met someone who looked so sophesticated (read chink). Incidently I also was great friends with the maid at this PG, I can't recollect her name. She went back to her hometown to get married, she was just 16. She spent money and called me from there just to find out how I'm doing, nearly brought tears to  mine cynical eyes.

Despite great roommates, I decided to rent a house as I got tired of the long commute, the Bengali food didn't help either. This turn of event landed me the adorable roommates and recipients of my cooking experiments - Paro, Aiswarya and Divya. I don't think I will do justice to my time there so not elucidating further on this. I would only add that this trio bore (legal) witness to the life altering event - my marriage.

But ofcourse the roommate I must hug to sleep everynight is my little doll - Rui.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice...A short picture of your journey with your roomies

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) ...
    will always miss the hostel days with my best best friend.- bli

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet janu.. :)- Mahitha

    ReplyDelete