Monday, January 17, 2011

Curry from across the border

I was not well today . Cold and cough with Rui at home for company. As I was tired, I made one thing she would eat without fuss - chicken. My little true blue mallu.

This recipe reminds me of an old friend, Sadaf. She is from Pakistan and was very mysterious for a school kid but totally good fun. I loved listening to her stories -  often with mouth wide open. She would drop in at my house usually before exams for combined study. Once she smuggled in a bottle of hair colour. The cap was very tight and in the process of opening it, the entire content landed on the ceiling of my bedroom. It was a nightmare cleaning it up.

One day Sadaf invited the gang ( of us 5 girls, feels funny writing this - Rui has started school, I should really grow up) home during summer holidays to help her with 'some' cleaning. In retrospect, I would say that was very sauve, very sly. All of us having never done any kind of menial tasks before went over to her place all excited thinking that it is going to be one big party. Of course that was not the case. We worked our ass off. Never since or before have I done so much work in one day! And as a reward she along with her dad made lunch for us. Rice, chicken curry, cabbage fry and a dry sweet. It was one of the most awesome satisfying lunch I have ever had.

I remember that a lot of whole spices were used. This lent a rich aroma to the food. The curry had a colour and texture that was quite unique. This is how I prepared my version of Pakistani Chicken curry after going through some recipes on the net today. Rui enjoyed it. I hope you do too.

Wash and keep aside 1 kg of chicken - big pieces.
Pour about 2 tablespoon of oil. Add whole spices - some jeera and black pepper corns, 1 cardomom, 2 cloves, 1 small piece of cinnamon and a bay leaf. Add 2 sliced onions to it. Fry till it is golden to dark brown.

Using a spoon, take the onion + spices out leaving the oil behind. Grind this along with 3 tablespoons of yoghurt and 1 sliced tomato till you get a fine paste.

To the remaining oil in the pan, add - 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of coriander powder, 1 tablespoon of chilli powder, 1/2 tablespoon of garam/mutton masala, 1 cardomom and salt. Give this a stir and add about 2 tablespoons of ginger garlic paste. Stir this for about 10 seconds and add the chicken pieces to this. Stir the chicken in this masala for about 5 minutes - so that it absorbs the spicy sauce. Lower the flame and keep the pan closed for another 5 minutes.

To this add the ground yoghurt mixture. Keep it closed for 10 minutes, then add some water and let it cook at low flame until the chicken is done - about 30 minutes. Don't forget to give it an occasional stir and garnish with chopped coriander leaves before serving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment