Friday, February 4, 2011

Food for thought

Literally. I need food otherwise I can't think. Cinema is out of the picture - it is food and only food, the lack of it triggered this obsession I suppose.

So here I am thinking about the different kinds of food I love. I prefer mutton to chicken when it comes to curry and vice-versa(?) in case of biriyani.
I am partial to stir fries of all vegetables, escpecially with liberal amount of grated coconut. However I don't enjoy veg food when I eat out unless it is rich north indian dishes.

I had a weakness for chinese for a while. We were regulars at Chung Wah, Rui when she was a toddler used to get along really well with the staff, the cute guys in particular. Dominoes was a favorite until a few months ago, I had a sudden change of mind attributed to nothing whatsoever, and switched over to Pizza Hut. I have an on and off relationship with Subway. Mc D is boring except for the milk shakes and the softies. Ever ready for KFC. Baskin Robbins on a cold evening after dinner. I get occasional craving for cakes and puddings. I can have endless pieces of butter plum cake with soft white icing, I recommend a visit to Sweet Chariot in the month of December.

Did I forget street food? All the paani puri vendors this side of Bangalore know just how I like my puris. It is most likely due to my jarring broken hindi with which we converse rather pitifully. 

Jilebis. Sweet, steamed and barbequed(!) corn. Caramel popcorns, they seem to be available only at exorbitant rates in expensive multiplexes - but simply awesome.

I have developed a liking for food that is very hot with a sweet twist to it. And so I always add generous amount of raisins in ghee rice and biriyani. I also am thinking of putting pineapple into a spicy chicken curry and see how that turns out, fry small pieces in the beginning or caremelize them and add as garnish towards the end, let's see.

You already know of my undying loyalty to fish, especially fish curry. I love meat cutlets and puffs that I get in the town bakery back home. Egg curry with rice. Kebabs. I also find cerelac interesting.

Coming to international food, not that I have tasted many, but shawarma tops the list followed by Lasagna.

In kerala we make a pothi when we go on long journeys, especially by train. Pothi basically is your food covered in banana leaf which is first warmed over fire. It is just so tasty - rice, a ball of coconut chutney and one omlet. Also I have seen my mom eat from tiffin box sometimes, guess your taste also has a lot to do with the memories attached to the different foods. 

Sigh. I can have a sound sleep now.

2 comments:

  1. that thought was very very yummy:);i think we share similar interest regarding food (strict non vegitarian)n u missed out sea food ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see so much info about food while you are eating bananas...super deternimation :D

    ReplyDelete