Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cinema and no Julia?

High treason. I am the biggest fan of Ms. Roberts. I am yet to see an outright boring Julia Roberts movie. I Love Trouble was bad, I accept, or maybe it's just me, I don't like Nick Nolte. Okay focus.

For me JR is equivalent to a box of chocolates, instantly lifts your spirit. Her smile and energy is absolutely contagious. I have seen almost all of her movies. I even have a greatest hits of JR DVD, which I have seen umpteen times, mainly because we had a short cable TV less period at home and there was nothing much else to keep us entertained but I could still watch all those movies again, many times over. 

Probably due to the large number of easy on eyes and brain (alongside Richard Gere, it's rather a treat) type of movies she has done, also the fact that most of her movies were huge box office hits, critics have always been quite harsh to her. To the extent that if you like Julia Roberts, you are judged not a serious movie person, I really don't care - she was great in Stepmom, Erin Brockovich besides all of the other movies.

Pretty Woman tagline : She walked off the street, into his life and stole his heart.
Well, what do I say, she really did.

Monalisa Smile, apparently coproduced by her production company Red Om Films, is quite rejuvenating for any (pseudo) forward thinker (me).

My pick of Roberts movie would be The Mexican. Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts did seem an unlikely pair, the chemistry was infact nothing to write home about. But it somehow worked for me, completely. Must be the dialogs -

~ I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If two people love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?
~  Never.

~ A lot of people are under the impression that you get to choose who you love.

 The best one - she tries to escape through the window of the loo but her kidnapper is standing right outside to which she reacts:

~ I'm sensing you have trust issues.

Classic.

3 comments:

  1. Does the title sound like - Hair colour and no ammonia? That ad probably was playing on TV when I started with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You introduced me to English movies and my first movie was a julia roberts movie - Step Mom. :-)........ luved it :-) ........Me too a huge JR fan :-) .......... energy level is unmatching .......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia Fiona Roberts, a smile that is contagious and she knows how to use it.

    Too tied up with work, need to watch her movies again. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete